4.12.2013

A Little Witness on Prayer



-My youth minister asked me to give a little witness to people who are about to Confirm about the process of Confirmation but looking specifically upon prayer. So I decided it would be best to get my thoughts together in blog form and share it with you all. -


My experience of the process of Confirmation is a little bit different than y'alls but that doesn't change the fact of how important prayer is during any given time, but especially while going through a Sacrament. 

While I was in the process of becoming a Catholic it was an extremely important and huge time in my life and I needed to know what God truly desired for me; which, that can only be clarified through prayer. My prayer life was pretty intense considering I had around 3 months before I got Confirmed. It was a lot of joy and happiness along with doubts and loss of close relationships, but that is where your own neediness of God kicks you and you find yourself relying purely on God, which is such a blessing. 

Then the day of my Confirmation crept upon me and I was ecstatic (which is an understatement). I was so ready. This day was going to be the start of the rest of my life. The only way I could have ever gotten here ,though, is through the love and mercy of Christ and through prayer, both mine and others.

Although, the morning after getting Confirmed it seemed as if anything spiritual in my soul just left. It was a good 3 months are more that this rough time in my prayer life occurred. I completely despised it. I wanted that joy. I wanted that happiness. I wanted that all those feel good feelings back and that was the problem. It was just a feeling and I became "high" ,per say, off of. I came to learn that my feelings don't predict my whole state and that I needed to keep strong in prayer and let Christ be my refuge even though it was difficult to pray. I have learned from numerous amounts of spiritual droughts that it is for a purpose. The sole meaning - To get you closer to Christ and realize that you need to praise God in the good and bad. 


Prayer is so hard to describe because it is the way we communicate with our Creator, which is divine. The effect that prayer had on me has completely no word that would give it the least bit of glory that it deserves. I have much gratitude and love for those who have prayed for me and who still pray for me because those prayers gave me the strength and courage to act upon God's will for me. It showed me how much of a blessing my life is and how beautiful others are and it made me realize that although I lost some of the most important relationships that I had I have gained a hundred fold. 

Prayer is the one of the most beautiful gifts from God and it should never be taken for granted. St. Francis de Sales put it beautifully when he said, 

"He who truly loves prayer loves it for the love of God, and he who loves it for the love of God wishes to experience in it nothing but what God  is pleased to send him."

So don't just pray whenever you need something granted or when something tragic happens. Pray always. It doesn't have to be anything profound. Every prayer can only draw you closer to Christ and through Christ you can only draw deeper into prayer.



I love You, God. I trust You, I believe in You, I need You now. 
+JMJ.A+


 "Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress. He made the storm be still, and the waves of the sea were hushed. Then they were glad that the waters were quiet, and he brought them to their desired haven."
-Psalm 107:28-30


Blessed Imelda, keep us in your heart.
Post a Comment